Friday, July 18, 2008

"stuff white people like"

I think this is funny, not offensive. I hope you don't take it offensively :p

Click here for a complete list

According to this, and the new book I got, I am really white! Not to mention I am "white" and my name, Jennifer, is Welsh for "white-ness" So, here are some of the things that make me uniquely white, like everyone else- (61 out 0f 103, things I am really into)-


#102 Children’s Games as Adults
#99 Grammar
#96 New Balance Shoes
#94 Free Healthcare
#93 Music Piracy
#92 Book Deals
#91 San Francisco
#90 Dinner Parties
#87 Outdoor Performance Clothes
#85 The Wire
#84 T-Shirts
#83 Bad Memories of High School
#82 Hating Corporations
#81 Graduate School
#78 Multilingual Children
#77 Musical Comedy
#76 Bottles of Water
#75 Threatening to Move to Canada
#69 Mos Def
#67 Standing Still at Concerts
#65 Co-Ed Sports
#64 Recycling
#63 Expensive Sandwiches
#61 Bicycles
#59 Natural Medicine
#54 Kitchen Gadgets
#53 Dogs
#51 Living by the Water
#50 Irony
#48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops
#47 Arts Degrees
#46 The Sunday New York Times
#45 Asian Fusion Food
#44 Public Radio
#43 Plays
#42 Sushi
#41 Indie Music
#38 Arrested Development
#37 Renovations
#36 Breakfast Places
#35 The Daily Show/Colbert Report
#34 Architecture
#32 Vegan/Vegetarianism
#28 Not having a TV
#26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!)
#24 Wine
#23 Microbreweries
#21 Writers Workshops
#20 Being an expert on YOUR culture
#19 Traveling
#18 Awareness
#15 Yoga
#13 Tea
#12 Non-Profit Organizations
#10 Wes Anderson Movies
#9 Making you feel bad about not going outside
#7 Diversity
#6 Organic Food
#5 Farmer’s Markets
#3 Film Festivals
#2 Religions their parents don’t belong to

Really? Its so funny we like to think of ourselves as unique for liking indie/foreign movies, microbreweries, wine, grammer, organic foods, making people feel bad for not going outside, etc... But, wouldn't it be offensive to have a list about things other cultures like? I'd rather cut off the use of plastic bags then be described as a "culture" that is into fried chicken or gaming. Well, I think it all mixes in anyway (and I LIKE that- oh, white people like diversity). I don't think these are bad traits- though. in Riverside county, a lot of them are unique. When I talk about moving to a place like Boulder, or Seattle, or LA- I'm hoping to meet more people like this (ethnicity aside). Maybe they should change this list to "some stuff that classy/cultured people like."

Some of the white stuff I am NOT is someone who likes sweaters, Sarah Silverman, Barack Obama...and...well, you should just check out the list for more!


(OH, the book list includes "Rock Climbing"- as in, "oh, on the weekends I love to go 'climbing'" So make that 62+stuff that makes me "super white". Well, Maybe. If my gym wasn't so close to UCR it would be all whities)

Did I mention that I'm part of one of the "whitest networks" on Facebook (Bridgeport/Stamford CT) and I have friends in some of the other networks? Eesh.
What makes you so "white"?

No comments: