Wednesday, July 9, 2008

rock climbing and dishwashers

It smells like something died in my kitchen, and it has been awful for the past few weeks. How long does it take maintenance from a company to come fix a dishwasher? Apparently, a long time. With me being gone and the 4th, I was able to snag an appointment for today. Actually, sometime within this hour, someone should be here. I have had so many appointments (Charter, ahem) where the repair people didn't show up. Because of that, I have some kind of appointment anxiety. But, I can't live with this smell! I mean- my grandpa is a GE exec and I still had to wait 3 weeks for a GE repair person. Maybe I shouldn't have procrastinated to begin with, but, the idea of having to wash my dishes by hand was kind of nice. Well, I'm over it. I'm ready to just load and wash again!


Also, I had a really hard climbing sesh today at Thresh Hold. My new shoes are absolutely amazing, but I haven't quite broken them in yet. They give me pointy elf feet, which = ingrown toenails. I love my old shoes, but for a more advanced climb, I should keep working in the new ones. I finished a 5.7 and a 5.9 today- with the 5.7 being the more difficult one (the lower the number, the easier it should be). I was able to get past some hangers (slopes that make you have to climb while at an incline) but not the ones that really stress me out. The 5.9 was a piece of cake until I hit the top, and had to sit in the harness 20 feet up to figure out why I couldn't get past one more hook. Something I was doing wasn't working, but when I finally figured out my technique I got it in seconds. My forearms are killing me!

I love rock climbing, but it doesn't help having a climbing buddy who is constantly giving you tips and telling you where you fall short. I mean, all that is great and all, but I would love to go with someone more on my level and more constructive/less judgmental. I am going to figure out technique, but for now, I'm just trying to just get up the wall. When I'm almost at the top and my arms are tired, technique is the last thing on my mind. Plus, I've been climbing for longer AND I'm a girl! Guys can't compare themselves to girls with this stuff. They have that whole upper body advantage. Anyway, I'll keep at it. For now, I'll be lucky if I can even bend my fingers- and, my hands are rough- but, I think its a sign of hard work...so I'll keep my calluses when I go in for a manicure :)

1 comment:

NicoleC said...

Whay didn't I hear about this rock climbing last night? Was I not listening? Now I know where yougot the calluses youshowed me. I love how you are so adventurous. It's inspiring. Let mek nwo when we can do the yoga/meditation thing you were talking about, that sounds great! Love ya