Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Learning Chinese


I am learning so much out here even though I'm here to teach. Two of my students are Chinese, and one of them, Lynn, is trying to help me learn Chinese (Taiwanese style). So far I know three words: hello, thank you, and dimentia. Why those three? They are the ones I have used so far. Don't ask :)
Over Christmas, her mom Mei was out visiting us. I wanted to send her a "thank you" note and Lynn had the idea of me writing the address in Chinese. I copied what she gave me but she laughed at me the whole time! I guess it looks like little kids' writing, and yeah maybe I made some of my characters backwards and upside down, but in the end I guess it was legible. I am really proud of my envelope and yet at the same time have no idea what I wrote down. Thanks, Lynn, for being a great teacher . . . maybe I'll get a good grade in Chinese?

1 comment:

Nettie said...

That sounds really fun. I'd love to learn the language! Does Linn know how to use the brushes to make the characters as well? I want to learn! You are so lucky! You did a great job I thought !