Sunday, January 10, 2010

Beach Cleanup


JaylBeen, Meyou, and I joined the Lutheran Church of Guam family this past weekend to help with a beach cleanup. The church sits on oceanfront property and shares a pretty private stretch of beach with houses, businesses, and a local park. The cleanup started about 8am, we arrived about 8:30, and within the next two hours 20+ people showed up to fill trash bags. The majority of our trash consisted of old tires and anything beer related. Beer bottles, cans, six pack cases, 12 pack boxes, empty bottles, full bottles, etc. We had an interesting time thumbing through all of it. The islands choice? Budweiser products. Every little market has huge Budweiser advertisements plastered all over the front of it. I'm thinking these ads, plus the evidence, is another big problem aside from the dirty beach conditions we sometimes have.

Here's a double prayer request: pray for Guam's alcohol issues and the preservation of our beautiful beaches and jungles. I don't know what I can do about the drinking problem, but as far as the trash thing goes, I want to join and organize a few more community service projects for the semester. I'm hoping some other friends here are up for that.







Part of it, Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After
(around the same spot)

2 comments:

Nettie said...

WHAT A GREAT CAUSE! LOOKS GREAT. ARE THERE ISLAND GROUPS TO GET PEOPLE INVOLVED FOR PLEASURE INSTEAD OF DRINKING?

Jen said...

Kind of, it's deeper than that. I can't focus on that for Guam since the school is like its own island, but I know I can help clean up after them...someone has to or else it's all going into the ocean :)