Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ritidian Point

This past Monday, my friends Alepo, Leeman, and I went to explore a nature preserve on the northernmost part of the island. We wanted to get off campus to hang out, and none of us had been there before, so it was a pretty cool experience for all of us. The drive was a lot longer than we expected, but the views were awesome. I'm pretty excited that we saw a pig cross the road, but that's just 'cuz I'm new out here.




After a hike to the ocean, we finally got to just relax.

Leeman brought his guitar, but it was too windy to play, so we just sat on a slab of cement that probably had to do with the military at some point. They told me the story of how they met, which is always interesting to hear both great sides at the same time. Alepo has an awesome sense of humor and she's pretty animated. She also has a lot of great insight and generally good vibes. Leeman can be wise, silly, and sarcastic all at the same time. Something that's cool about them, and I hope it's not offensive to them that I'm writing this, is that they come from two different islands. Leeman's from Palau, and Alepo is from Chuuk. The different cultures, expectations, and languages don't seem to matter to them nor get in the way of the relationship. I think that's awesome, seeing as half the time I'm worried about whether or not something's appropriate for someone else's culture, or whether or not I'm offending anyone. I think they might have worked out a lot of these kinks, and that's going to be a blessing for me. When I'm with Leeman and Alepo, I get a good Christian perspective without a lot of cultural hangups- or, I get a few ways to look at things. It's hard to explain, but these two are like family to me out here, and it's really cool to be able to have time away with them. I'm totally looking forward to whatever we get to do next :)

2 comments:

Nettie said...

May God bless their relationship and yours with them. They sound awesome!!! You areawesome too Jen. I am so proud of you. I am sureyou are learning alot and the experiece will only add to your vast array of friends and wisdom. Have many more good times. Wish I could be there to meet them and visit you.

Nettie said...

The pool sounds like fun. what a great way to relax and enjoy each other, the community sounds kind and caring, nothing like small town life!