Monday, June 21, 2010

My Dad

Today was Father's Day in the states, and I thankfully was able to talk to my dad before the day ended in California. Here in Guam, we have windows of opportunities to talk to loved ones in the states and by mid day here, they are all closed. Anyway, my dad called me back a little before bedtime and I'm so glad I got to talk to him. I want to call him again tomorrow.

My sister drove up to visit and they went to church, breakfast, wine tasting at some of our favorite local vineyards (in nor. cal), to lunch at a great local restaurant in Gold Country (where they discovered gold), and then somehow ended up in at an amazing dinner. My dad loves to cook, and from a family of foodies, an amazing dinner at a restaurant has to be pretty amazing. See the picture above with him and Delight? I can only imagine what they are grilling. One of the many things I love about my dad is that he is an incredible cook. Just ask our traveling team who feasted at the house this past week!

Anyway, there were many touching things about our conversation. My sister brought him a bag of cheddar goldfish as a gift from me, and he was definitely excited. At Christmas, we put a bag in his stocking and in the midst of opening presents, he started eating his goldfish. He calls it "seafood," so that's what I sent him from Guam. Today, he thanked me for the seafood. I can't wait to enjoy it with my dad when I get back.

During our conversation, he asked me about Chuuk and whether or not it would be safe to work there at the latter end of this year. We talked about his concerns, and although he seems a little uneasy, he was really supportive. My dad has always been so supportive of me. He has always been so supportive even when I've probably seemed crazy. Now, even though I'm not on the path of a retirement plan and house payment, my Dad supports me fully.

I could go on and on about the many things that amaze me about my dad and what an amazing person my dad is to me and to those who know him, but I want to really focus on what a blessing he is to me, and well, my sister too. My dad and mom adopted us. I don't know who my biological father is, but God gave me an incredible father who allows me to pretty much not care about who my bio. father is. I have a perfect father in heaven and a perfect (for me) father here on earth. Happy father's day, Dad. I'm so glad that you were chosen to be mine, and I was chosen to be yours.

1 comment:

Nicole B. said...

Oh how this warmed my heart! Just one more way in which we're soul sisters...having fathers who love us, even though they didn't "make" us. We're lucky girls, huh?