Monday, August 31, 2009

Settling into PIU


overlooking part of the campus on PIU


I don't know how to put this without feeling superstitious and "jinxing myself," but I have been really blessed since coming out to Guam. I have been here about 11 days and it feels like I have been here much longer. This, my friends, is a good thing. I have been able to drive myself from point A to B to C and back to A without getting lost, and am familiarizing myself with the locations of where my life will be taking place. The campus is small and beautiful, though we are praying for and planning on great renovations. I can't tell you how often I've sat in front of one of the office windows and watched butterflies fly by. They are everywhere out here.

This is my first big week at PIU and in life on Guam. I am in the process of finding a car, but luckily I have been able to borrow one from PIU. A friend told me that I could borrow her husband's Jeep while he's away in the military, which I should be able to pick up this week! This buys me a few extra weeks. Cars out here cost around 2g's more than cars back in California, for whatever reason. I've been blessed with a great place to stay, and have taken an extra job to make ends meet. This job is interesting so far. I'll probably update you on it later or not talk about it at all for a while until I can see where it's going.

My seminary class has been cool so far, too, alhough I have just been to one class. I just finished reading about 200 pages for it between my Bible and coursework (but my reading retention is not all that great- I need practice ways to retain info).

My best update is in the works. I need to stay focused on God and the reasons I am here. I am at PIU to teach classes in the remedial English program, to help Melody, and to most importantly minister to the students- esp the women. There are already awesome female leaders here, which has me praying for my place in all of this. I want to form good relationships with these students but I need to be on campus a lot, participate in activities, and find my niche in everything. This is my ministry in progress and I have a lot to learn and experience. I want to let the students know that I'm nice and they can talk to me. I am eager to find my place in the body of PIU, though I know it may take a little time and a lot of effort on my part. It's weird being away from what I'm used to, but I know that this is the best opportunity for me to grow. As for now, I'm going to work on my syllabus, prepare for my classes tomorrow, and see where the Spirit leads me today.

1 comment:

Nettie said...

Wow sounds amazing! Love butterflies, are they all different? I amsure the girls will love you and you will find your niche, along with all your amazing gifts. It is a once in alifetime opportunity! How could traffic be bad in such a small place? Class sounds fun, what are you studying? xoxooxxoox