Thursday, August 20, 2009

Arriving on Guam

I now believe that all Pacific islands have this distinct smell of rainwater, local vegetation, and sewage. For some reason, it is a smell to me such as a comfort food. I smelled it first thing off the plane and it reminded me of other travels.

I am here, on Guam, in the Pacific ocean....a tiny tiny atoll...in an office that I will soon be doing stuff out of at PIBC. It has pretty much rained every half hour, and there are chickens, geckos, and lots of plumeria (I think). It rained last night when I got in. Great! My hair loves it already.

I think that I am in a really good place right now. PIU is awesome- there's some great people I have met so far, and everyone has been welcoming. I am currently occupying my time with...of course...blogging and facebook, while overlooking the middle of the campus. I think it's about to rain again.


Getting to SFO was interesting, but I had a great time with Mary and my family before leaving. I got to say bye to my sister, too, AND my friend Chelsea took me to San Fran for a night. I had a blast meeting up with an old friend from high school and running around the city! I got to spend ten days before all of this back east in Jersey, NYC, and CT- which was definitely needed.

The flight was great- long, but great. I sat next to 15yr old Japanese school girls. One of them threw up in a bag, but I couldn't really smell it or anything (I know, gross, right? had to share). The guy across the way from me was reading Blink as I am reading Outliers- fantastic books, same author, gotta read Blink...and I knew he wanted to chat but I kept putting on a new movie and falling asleep. I wish we talked more, because we had a great conversation leaving the plane. We were probably the only two people on the plane who didn't speak Japanese although he was Asian. They kept talking to him in Japanese and I was totally laughing. They knew I didn't know it. Mushi mushi. Did I even spell that right?

(little section on Narita, Tokyo- TOKYO! I rented a room for 11 bucks to sleep in for an hour, ate McDonalds for the second time in Asia because there wasn't anything else except French food and Japanese pork stuff, used a toilet that was a hole in the ground, and went online. Yup- that was the extent of it)

The next person I met was on the bus at the airport- an American living in China, and was home visiting family. I then met an awesome lady, Liza, at the airport. She's from Guam but totally looked like a Californian. She gave me her number and we talked for a long time. I can't wait to get in touch with her again- she was way cool.

Arriving at the airport, Melody and Tim gave me a shell lei and were holding up a sign and everything. We have pictures that I should post soon. On the way back, we saw some pizza huts, dominos, subway, taco bell....and a Winchells donuts. I will be avoiding these places as much as possible, but I bet if you want to feed me you can send me some gift cards. Um, Outback steakhouse, Subway...yeah. ANYWAY! We went back to their place, had some oranges, and went to sleep. I slept better last night than I have in the last two months. I woke up nicely and here I am....at PIU. My morning started with green tea and an apple with peanut butter, and I pretty much feel at home. I can't wait to settle in.

Hopefully I'll have some more interesting updates for everyone soon. I haven't seen the ocean in the daytime, and my camera is en route. I'll post updates when I can, and will have pictures pretty soon. Keep praying for my adjustment and progress at PIU. God has been so good to me and I need to use these experiences as moments to honor and praise His beauty. I can't believe how it all worked out, but I know that it will just further and develop my testimony and faith. Please let me know how I can pray for you! Feel free to contact me any time, too...you know I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I rooot toot toooting for you jen jen! I know you will grown as a person and have the time of your life, if your the Jen I know. I can't wait to come visit you out there...Ill probably stay a long time...if you will let me:) The first details of your arrival made me think of Thailand for some reason. Good times. I love you soo much and I hope you will be safe and take care. Ill be thinking of you girly!

Angie Funches said...

So happy to hear you made it~! I cant wait to walk with you along this journey via your blogs and FB! Love you :-)