Saturday, October 4, 2008

winter blues

This morning, fall and winter (as they are one season in s. cal) happened. I woke up early, unable to sleep, and looked out the window. I brushed up against it and felt a chill. The parking lot of my building was dark and wet, and it was only 7 a.m.

The day is promising rain, and I half expected the lot to be flooded (rain, what's that!) in anticipation of this new season.

Dark and wet was fine with me.


I dragged myself to the bathroom where I popped some allergy medicine and irrigated my sinuses. Actually, since I did that last night, I could breathe this morning. But- this is my winter habit- so I did it again.

I then brought laundry into my closet to put away and noticed my winter boots. I thought they would be nice to wear to my climbing session this morning. Wait, I can't climb in those! They'd look so cute with my jeans and new sweatshirt and fall bag though!

Ugh- ok- maybe flip flops, or vans, for another day or so.

My tea pot is going-

iTunes has picked out some depressing Irish folk music and Tori Amos (seriously, winter depression?)

I have a strange craving for hot cocoa, and an ever stranger craving for nothing else. Maybe soup, but other than that- no food is coming into my system.



Are we that closely related to a brown bear, or even a house cat? I notice that the winter brings my cat to eat less, shed less, and cuddle with me more. Whether its our simple need for body heat, comfort in an uncomfortable season, or to just use our fat storage, I can clearly see winter patterns. I have been praying for this all summer, yet, a short wave of depression came over me this morning upon finally receiving.

1 comment:

Angie Funches said...

Yea!! Winter! We had a really nice thunder and lightening storm here yesterday. It was awesome. I cant wait for the winter to come, it will be out first REAL winter! Did you go to church this morning? Did they help you get out of the depression funk? I hope you are feeling better now.