Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Family


 pictured left to right: Tammy, Shirley, myself, and Lizzie. This is my birthmom, her mother, and my sister whom I met when I was 19

I just got off the phone with my birthmom Tammy's mom, aka my Grandma, Shirley, from Bellevue, Wa. As I was chatting with her, I started thinking about all of my grandparents and how each one of them loves me so much and is so supportive of me. I believe that all 5 of them (2 mom's side, 2 dad's side, 1 birthfam's side) including the one who met me when I was born pray for me and are excited when we have time to chat.

I often wonder, though, why I don't call them more? Why don't I seek their advice, share stories of my life, let them see me as I grow and learn? Why does it take a heart attack, brain tumor, car accident, or other tragedy or hardship for me to call them up to converse and say I love them? I always say that if I don't talk to them in the morning or late evening, due to time zone differences, that I miss my opportunity, but the truth is that I get so lazy and careless that I miss opportunities every single day. I wonder, in what other areas of my life am I missing an opportunity to share the great things that are going on? Who am I missing out on? Am I too busy to just let God speak to me? All of the above are correct about me. I am not making a life altering promise to call someone every single day, but I am praying for time and awareness about my family. Sometimes, it can be so easy to love, witness to, and connect with strangers or acquaintances, or close friends, but we fall so short when it comes to the people who love us the most. I want God to turn my heart to the ones who have shown me unconditional love my entire life, and who care the most about me, even when in fact I pay the least attention to them.

If I can't even do that, then what am I really doing for Jesus?

1 comment:

Nettie said...

So true, I think about that often too, life is precious and short, and how much have I given in love and a listening ear, or in times of need, over the years, and yet they have always been there for me! eeeek lots to ponder, thanks for sharing. love you