Sunday, October 11, 2009

Smile ><>


half of the rainbow coming down over the bay....and like for Noah, a smile

I have to admit that this past week has been pretty hard for me. I have felt a little discouraged and have been struggling with missing my friends and my family. Even though I didn't get to spend too much time with my family back home, I was a lot closer. The smallness of the island has gotten to me and reality has set in. Thankfully, God gave me an overseas family immediately...and even before I arrived. This past week, I got to meet my dad's coworker Pat's family, where 6 out of the 10 siblings live on the island...and each has kids around my age, and they all have cousins...and lo and behold I now have another extended family of 20 people and counting. I only remember a few names, but I'm working on it. I went to Pat's sister Ann's home for lunch after church today for bbq beef (and pork) sandwiches. When I got there, I was the first person...seeing as I came on time, and people here run late for the most part. This really worked to my advantage. Ann was squeezing fresh lemonade from lemons on her tree. When she finished, we went outside to see all of their fruit and flowers. Talk about tropical....she showed me bananas, mango trees, green lemons, breadfruit (local), and coconuts. The flowers included birds of paradise, plumeria, and other local flowers. Ann, her husband, and one of their sons picked bananas and lemons for me to take home. Then, Ann made fresh smoothies (which I've been praying for for 3+ weeks now) out of all of their local fruits. We ate the best sandwiches ever, I got to talk to the family (and get to know them better), and tried some new things like pickled papaya. I left their home feeling really fulfilled and happy. On my drive back, overlooking the reef, was a huge rainbow...from beginning in the jungle to ending over the ocean. We were having a sunshower and I didn't even notice. The joy and renewal that I feel right now is indescribable, but I know it's because of prayer on my part and from my friends and family. I know I am blessed to be here, and couldn't be more thankful for God's provisions in friends, family, and comforts.

2 comments:

Angie Funches said...

God does provide and this is a great reminder! Glad you have a new family there. :-)

Nettie said...

Amazing how things work out! Wish I could be there to share all the wonderful experiences with you! Glad you were introduced to family! We miss you too! Island life can be a challenge knowing how small it is, and it is a huge effort to change the surroundings. But find something new in the everyday that is a new challenge. You are amazing!