Monday, February 8, 2010

Blue Starfish


Last week during a swim, three friends and I found over ten of these gorgeous bright blue starfish. They were everywhere along the sea floor. We wouldn't have seen all of these if we kept swimming against the unusually strong current to go to our usual spot in the Fish Eye (Piti bomb holes) preserve, as we were trying to reach bigger fish and the deeper water. Instead, we let the current take the four of us down the beach into soft and live coral grounds, scattered with sea stars, purple and pink sea cucumbers, a large clam, and other beautiful fish.

If I had continued to swim against the current, I would have been worn out and only have seen the same stuff I had seen many times before. By allowing the current to take me down the beach, I saw more beautiful coral and fish in a more natural setting (consistently) than I could have ever imagined.

I really feel as though life could be like this at times we are left to our own devices. We work for the same thing: consistency, normalcy. When we let life run its course,we are often challenged and inspired in ways we could never imagine. I learn the most from being meek during times when I really want to be loud and lead. I see the most when I let other people show me things.

I also know that, in nature, we often have to work (swim, hike) out to the beautiful places, but then the beauty within those places will then be revealed to us. Even if we have only heard of our destination before in a guidebook, or through others who have maybe been there or experienced it. In life, we have faith that our destination will be as promising as we've heard it to be. Sometimes, we can walk out our front door and see a perfect rainbow or sunset. This is our faith. We may be blessed with the brightest sunsets when we least expect it, or we may have to hike up steep cliff sides or through swordgrass for a promising destination that we may have only heard of. Either way, through God (Jesus) we will be amazed and fulfilled by whatever it is He wants to show us or teach us (even when we try to make our own way or wander off the path). This is what I believe sets us apart.

Psalm 23

Proverbs 3:5-6


No comments: