Sunday, December 20, 2009

seeking scripture

One thing I definitely do not do enough is spend time in my Bible. I think most of us are in this boat: we do all kinds of things every single day, yet we don't take a few minutes out of our day to read what God has to say to us. I have made it part of my day to wake up and pray before doing anything else, even before getting out of bed. When I first moved out here, and even back in California, I would wake up and check my Facebook. I miss my friends and family so much, no matter where I am in the world, yet don't seek comfort in the right places. I never really have, and I'm working on that.

Now, I'm on my Christmas break. I have a few things scheduled business-wise (finish grading, submit them, prepare my syllabus) but I also have some great opportunities and time to rest and relax. This year, as most of you know, I get to spend Christmas with some of the girls from PIU. My friend Meyou will be with me the entire break, which I am so happy about. We were together a couple days last month and got along really well. I am looking forward to the peace and quiet. I know she misses her family, too. What a cool blessing to get to spend Christmas with a sweet friend, right? I'm excited =)

Now, I don't know if this is a "New Years" resolution or what, but I think its my life resolution. I am resolving to work diligently and to take time to rest. I want to write more. I want to be a better friend and example. I want to be a better teacher and coworker. I want to be a better daughter and sibling. I really feel like God wants to show me something but I'm too busy to listen. It's hard not to be busy here, but I know this is my problem anyway.

Tonight, when reading, I came across 2 Thessalonians 3. It reads:
11We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. 13And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

The verse: "they are not busy; they are busybodies" wow, oh yeah? Is that me sometimes? Am I just busy for the sake of being busy? I have been slowing down, leaving my planner at home, and hanging out a little more. I am trying to calm down my mind and working on what I am here to do. I do not want to get overwhelmed, and I want to see what God has in store for me. So, this is my resolution. I want to be held to it.

1 comment:

Nettie said...

I love this blog. The scripture is a good one to really dwell on. You are a busy person, you seem to thrive on busy, but again it is good to work on your talents and slow down and just BE with God and God in others and God alone, and God in your writing. Maybe he has something important for you to write? Love and miss you, I am very proud and excited for you!