Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas from Guam

A few years back, I would get frustrated when I would hear "happy holidays" instead of something that referred to Christmas. This past year, I learned that Jesus wasn't born on December 25 (well, who really knows? The speculation is that it wasn't during the winter) and that the reason we celebrate it on this day is because of the pagen winter solstice. We piggybacked on that holiday so we could celebrate without being persecuted.

Now, I don't get frustrated when I hear the general term "holidays" because it is the holidays. It's all sorts of holidays, all being celebrated at the same time, probably for the same reason. Instead, I pray that people can know and celebrate God's son in the way that we know and celebrate Him.

It's not about receiving, about what we get. It's about our one amazing gift. Because of this gift, we want to give in return. While I miss everyone back home, I see that God is doing amazing things out here. Merry Christmas from my island to yours. I pray that you can know God's love and that you receive His blessings. What an amazing time to celebrate.

Love to you all,
Jen

Fall on your knees, and hear the angels' voices- Christ is born

No comments: