Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Shennanigans

Only during a road trip is it ever acceptable to eat Mc Donald's twice in one day, let alone at all-
My sister, Essie, and I, left Santa Barbara early this morning after hitting the snooze button for a half hour. I arrived in Santa Barbara late last night, played some Facebook games, and went to bed. When 6 a.m. arrived, I was not moving. Come 7, however, we were on our way.

Mc Donald's stop 1: Sausage and cheese biscuit.

snack: half a box (3 bars) of Nature's Valley "sweet and salty" Peanut granola bars.

Gas stop- oh look! A Mc Donald's is across the street. Let's get some yogurt and water. Ten minutes later, my sister comes back with a yogurt parfait and apple pie, for each of us. Hmm- not even noon yet and I reached calorie capacity.

On our trip, we were listening to various radio stations and talk programs. The Christian gospel stations were on the low dial, and the country was on the high dial. I swear, there must have been six or seven of each. We stumbled upon a program that was telling the story of Thanksgiving. Apparently, the Indians had British accents. Also, did you know Thanksgiving was started by a pilgrim asking an Indian (after the pilgrim killed the Indian's family and took over all the land) of he knew about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Ok, now, I am all about some good Christian stories, but I believe that Thanksgiving did not happen that way. There is no way that's possible. The pilgrims needed the Indians so they wouldn't die through another winter, and the Indians needed the pilgrims to stop infringing on their land. The real Thanksgiving must have been bad ass.

Then, the station cut out. Back to country music.

We arrived at our Dad's around 1:15, and were greeted by an array of appetizers. Veggies and feta dill dip, salami rolled with peppercinis and cream cheese, black olives, and shrimp. I think I ate half of the apps. My step mom started cutting up homemade pumpkin bread and a pumpkin cream cheese roll (may I mention that she made a few loafs and rolls for each of us to take home??) Anyway, I ate about 500 cal in breads. Then, I took a good long nap before dinner.



Dinner- was awesome as always. Whatever my dad cooks is amazing. I remember the time when he made a full course meal before Steph and I left for Thailand: tri tip steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli, bread, dessert of some sort... and let me just say that's not the best thing to eat before 20 hours of travel time. Yes, I'm now experiencing that same uncomfortable sensation of eating just a little too much all day long.

Here we are. Watching James Bond, whichever one came out in 2006. My dad knew he didn't see this one because it came out in 2006. I think he stopped going out to movies and renting them way back when I was in high school. I'm not even paying attention at this point- just waiting for the turkey coma to kick in.

No comments: