Monday, July 12, 2010

Leadership

The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You  I started reading the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell this past week. I am really excited about this book, as I'm trying to develop my leadership skills. This has been a great read so far, for the Christian and secular world. I have had many leadership positions practically my whole life. I think it started when I was two or so, in dealing with my baby sister and my pets up until training people in restaurant positions and teaching. I know that many of us are natural born leaders, but there is so much to be said in dealing with people the right way, in a way that makes them want to follow. Being here in Guam, I've realized the responsibility of a leadership role and how much comes with it. I've also learned to back down and let other people lead, and from what I'm learning right now, a good combination of leadership skills from the strengths of a group of people (as our Student Life Team was described).

I have been trying to refine my leadership skills to be more Christ-like (which thankfully I have the Bible as the perfect reference). The older I get, the more I realize I really don't know anything, and there is so much left to learn. Thank God that I am learning through His gospel and that I am challenged on a daily basis.

If you're interested in checking out these laws, such as the Laws of Navigation, Respect, Solid Ground, etc, you can click on the book and it'll take you to Amazon.com. I'd also love to bounce what I've learned off of people and have accountability in applying my strengths and developing my weaknesses.I'm not a competitive person when it comes to success, but I feel like I need to keep up with myself and constantly challenge myself. This is my goal for the next two semesters (and lifelong, really).


I'd also love to suggest Outliers: The Story of Success

2 comments:

Nettie said...

So true I may just read that before you come then we can have a great sharing time on what we learned. It is a delicate balance in leadership, making people feel good about themselves and helping them bring out their talents can be a challenge, because nothing is learned unless it is discovered by the one learning. God bless

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.