Friday, July 10, 2009

appletinis and things I'll remember

So, a few years ago I dated this guy who I really liked from my poetry class. He was beautiful, sweet, Christian, had a good home, and sang/played guitar. Unfortunately, everything else was not compatible with me and I was kinda mean to him. OK, I was definitely mean to him. We were in such different places, and I am glad we didn't let it drag out. For one, I was a completely immature Christian with no intention on becoming more mature. I'm not saying I'm that much better now, but I have definitely grown and continue to grow. Then...not so much. Anyway, I remember our deal breakers, and I just look back at them and laugh. But...I think they'd still be deal breakers for me today, too. Check them out-

1) He said he was going to make me dinner, and that he makes the best beef stroganoff. He brought over a ROLL of beef and a box of hamburger helper.
2) He went to a fashion show and had the BEST appletinis
3) He didn't want any pets.

BLEH. OK, men- men don't drink appletinis unless we're on vacation or at a gay bar in Palm Springs. By all means, get something with an umbrella in it. And, hamburger helper and beef in a roll? Poor kid.

However, there were some amazing things he did, that I will always remember:

-Our first date was on a mission to Mexico to build a home for a family, with his church.
-He prayed with me.
-He brought me flowers from Trader Joe's quite often.
-He was nice to me even through all the crap I gave him. He was still so nice, and nice to my friends. I walked all over him.


In every relationship, there's things we take, and things we can leave. That goes with friendships, family, everything. I'm going to start writing friend profiles here and there to share some of the stories that changed me and my heart. He will always be a part of that.

No comments: